Sunday, November 14, 2010

Silhouette Ornaments

As we draw closer to Christmas, I'm finishing up some projects that I started over the summer.  My intention was to get an early start on handmade Christmas presents but alas, it didn't work out the way I planned!  Oh well - at least I finished it before the holiday!

I usually give the grandparents a framed picture of my daughter but after seeing this fabulous idea on Roots & Wings, I knew this year would be different!

So I purchased 4 wooden circles, a remnant of Christmas-y material, red paint, and some Modge Podge and went to work!

First, I painted the circles red.  While they were drying, I cut 4 circles from the material.  Then I glued the material on to the circles.  I drilled small holes in the top of the ornament and set an eye hook for the hanger.

The hardest part of this whole project was getting my child to sit still long enough to get a decent side photo!  It happened at the zoo one day, as she was watching the lions sleep.  Very exciting stuff.
It wasn't the best photo, but it was all I had to work with!  I cut the size down about 75%, printed it out, and then used a black marker to color it in so I could get a good perspective on what it would look like as a silhouette.  I had to reposition her head a little since she was looking down, but after about 4 iterations, I finally came up with a silhouette I was happy with.

Roots & Wings suggests painting your silhouette directly on your material, but I stink at painting so I decided to cut mine out of black cardstock.  So I traced my pattern silhouette 4 times and cut them out.  Then I glued the silhouettes on each of the circles and covered in a good coat of Modge Podge.
I thought it wasn't quite finished with just the coat of Modge Podge, so I decided to pour a thin coat of resin on just the top.  It makes it feel more finished to me.  Plus, I like the shiny top coat!  I added a gold cord for the hanger.

The only other thing I added to my ornament was my daughter's name, age, and the year to the back of the ornament (all covered with Modge Podge).

I think this is a nice keepsake that the grandparents are going to love!

2 comments:

  1. I think this is so neat! what a beautiful gift! TFS!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I hope I can get some silhouette pics of my kids to do this, too.

    ReplyDelete